Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pi-roblems

So a few observations so far about how it compares to faster desktop boxes.  Don't get me wrong, this isn't criticism about the Pi - I knew these things would be issues and for the price and size, what do you expect!  I wanted to list them here so that potential purchases of the Pi would realise that this is not a desktop machine - it will do some cool stuff, but you need to be careful to optimise it well and ensure that you don't expect too much of it.

Again, I'm going to update this thread regularly so watch this space.

Firstly, speed - it often sits in IOWait - this may be a compatibility issue with my SD card (16 Gb Class 10), but I doubt it! - It turns out the issue is the card on this one - see this post.

Secondly, networking - out of the box with Arch, MAC addresses are not maintained on boot.  This post addresses the issue so I'm going to try and upgrade the distro (though a pacman -SyU didn't fix it, it seems), I'll put a comment here and post in that thread if it does.

[UPDATE 8/5/12] it seems my problem is slightly different to the one in the post linked above - my /proc/cpuinfo shows no Serial / Revision numbers for the CPU - interesting... We'll see what the RasPi people say soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment