Tuesday, May 8, 2012

NewPi

So, my Pi arrived today.  It is a tiny thing indeed!

I set it up at work.  Was good and didn't get too distracted, but I did load up Debian and have a play.  It's not quick for sure - loading Incentivated's website took about 30 s, and the CPU was at 100 % for most of that time, but that's to be expected I guess.

After a while I tried out the Arch Linux Arm version, which doesn't by default have a GUI, but seems pretty nice. I'm going to stick with that for now.

Now I've got it home, I've got it running on my desk with Arch Linux, bought an HDMI-DVI adaptor and a cheap HDMI cable, which works fine.

I've rebuild the Arch Linux image with larger partitions - I was lazy and did it with a VM running Ubuntu and gparted - 6 Gb root partition, and the rest of the 16 Gb card as data (I'll be symlinking /home and /var).

I've been brainstorming things to do with it.  Ideas so far include:
  • Fishtank automation (Temperature, pH, salinity measurements, light & heater controls)
  • Media centre - somehow - more on this later - I have an awesome idea :)
  • Time machine / backup for my life (in other words, my Macbook Pro)
  • Random web console for when I need such a thing and my laptop is elsewhere - I think I'm going to buy one just for this purpose anyway
Anyway, enough talking, back to some doing!  I'll post more here about the media centre idea soon.

2 comments:

  1. Web console and media player for sure. I used to have a linux box running 24x7 but the electricity was pointless. Love the thought of always on gateway using a phone charger. It also makes running an email server possible which I'll also have a crack at. Do you know if debian lets you control power to external usb drives? I'd like to have the media disk powered down until needed - I've tried with my win7 xbmc boxes but evev when they sleep the drive spins.

    Good posts, thanks

    Mike Bakke @mikebakke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain amount of power management in most USB powered drives, though it varies from vendor to vendor (in fact there is a known issue with some Seagate drives that I've encountered before that means they don't power up again on Linux, which can be worked around).

      I want to investigate the options here myself, when I do so I will be sure to post here, though for me, the NAS function in my house may well be handled by a DD-WRT router rather than the Pi; not sure yet (may still use the Pi for media).

      Appreciate the comment

      Delete